ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard

Image
  ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard I've always liked the idea behind HamClock and the various commercial world-map displays aimed at ham radio operators. Put a big screen in the shack, leave it running and at a glance you can see propagation information, DX activity, satellites, weather, UTC and whatever else is useful that day. But I also wanted something I could customize. Every product I looked at had different features and displays but I wanted something that could do everything I wanted on one screen, so I wrote what I call ShackClock. ShackClock is a full screen amateur radio dashboard I built around Node-RED, Leaflet, Docker and a collection of public APIs. It will run on a Mac, Raspberry Pi or pretty much anything that can run Docker and a web browser. It is easy to setup and does not require a dedicated computer. One Screen Instead of Ten Browser Tabs At the center of ShackClock is a full-screen satellite map. The base map comes from Esri and then Sha...

What is Kiwix and why I have it installed on my POTA computer

 



I always thought it would be good to have information resources on my computer that aren't internet dependent.  What if I’m out in the field doing a POTA and need a reference manual or some medical information? Or my cable modem goes out and I really need to look up an old club newsletter from 2016?

Kiwix is an app for offline reading on the go, remote areas, emergencies, or independent knowledge access. It is a program you can install on your Raspberry Pi, Windows or Mac computer that gives you offline access to resources like Wikipedia, TED, Stack Exchange, or your favorite website (via Zimit) so you can have a library of manuals or other reference materials specific to your needs.  

Let’s install Kiwix – to download the program go to https://kiwix.org/en/applications/


Pick the correct version for your computer and install the program.

Upon starting the program and choosing Categories you will see a list of databases you can download, including the entire Wikipedia (110GB with pictures), Urban Prepper, MDWiki Medical Encyclopedia, and more. All great info to have out in the field and off grid.





Let’s look for some Amateur Radio content – I searched all the categories and found a database in StackExchange and then searched for “radio”.  


Now I see that it has 8K articles and is only 68MB to download.




If I click on it, I can get more information and an option to download it.




After downloading it, click the option to open the main page.



Now you can scroll through the article entries.


Or search a topic with the search bar, choosing the database(s) you want to search in.


Then you can click on the articles that interest you.


I think all that is cool, but here’s where things can get interesting. You can also download entire websites to have them at you fingertips by using Zimit (https://zimit.kiwix.org/).

Fill in the website and your email. The reason why they need your email is if you close the window you’ll lose the download link. They will send you a link so you can access the file for a week. You can even build your own Zim server, if you want to do everything yourself.






Then click the advanced options button and enter a title and description for future reference to the database.  If you want to download everything on the site, under Scope Type, chose any. Files can get big, so be careful which option you pick. Then click Let’s ZIM it!

You might have to wait a while until a slot opens up on the website download server, but then it will start capturing the site.


Once a slot opens up it will begin downloading the site.




Once it is complete – open the .zim file you downloaded in Kiwix.




Next, select it and then press Open Main Page.


Now you will see the site in the Kiwix window and you just click on links like you would normally do in a web browser but everything is local to your computer. 

That’s all there is to it.  I found some sites online with equipment manuals and have used Zimit to download them so I can have them on my computer.  It is great to have a full manual set when you are out in the field

73








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Put Your AllStar Node on 44Net Connect

Why You Might Want To Set Up Your Raspberry Pi Internet Web Server on 44Net

Build a Central N3FJP Field Day Log Server With Local DHCP and GPS Time

ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard

Building a Secure Web Portal on 44Net Without VPN Headaches

How To Set Up Your Own Remote Station

How To Get Precise Time Outside Your Shack

Getting WaveNode Power Meter Data Into Node-RED

Turning Your Starlink Mini into a Real Telemetry Device - How to bridge Starlink Mini into MQTT and Node-RED for real-time monitoring and automation

Why You Should Use SSH Keys Instead of Passwords on Your Raspberry Pi

Ham RSS News Feeds

Amateur Radio Daily

ARRL News

Zero Retries