ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard

Image
  ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard I've always liked the idea behind HamClock and the various commercial world-map displays aimed at ham radio operators. Put a big screen in the shack, leave it running and at a glance you can see propagation information, DX activity, satellites, weather, UTC and whatever else is useful that day. But I also wanted something I could customize. Every product I looked at had different features and displays but I wanted something that could do everything I wanted on one screen, so I wrote what I call ShackClock. ShackClock is a full screen amateur radio dashboard I built around Node-RED, Leaflet, Docker and a collection of public APIs. It will run on a Mac, Raspberry Pi or pretty much anything that can run Docker and a web browser. It is easy to setup and does not require a dedicated computer. One Screen Instead of Ten Browser Tabs At the center of ShackClock is a full-screen satellite map. The base map comes from Esri and then Sha...

How To Get Precise Time Outside Your Shack

 



Often when I decide to do Parks on the Air (POTA), I just grab my gear and go forgetting to sync my laptop’s time.  When I get to the park, sometimes my system clock is 5-30 seconds off which means I’m not able to do FT8.

I have found some inexpensive solutions to help fix this issue.  First, you’ll need a GPS dongle to capture accurate time signals.  These dongles are great and can get time almost anywhere, if they have a good view of the sky. 

Here is the one I like since I can move it around if I need to and can keep it away from my radio to reduce RFI. It is called the “VFAN USB GPS Receiver Antenna Gmouse for Laptop PC Car Marine Navigation Magnetic Base” and available on Amazon for $20. 



If you want something less expensive ($12) and smaller, I’ve heard good things about this unit (although I have never used it) – “HiLetgo VK172 G-Mouse USB GPS/GLONASS USB GPS Receiver for Windows 10/8/7/VISTA/XP”.



Next, you’ll need software to allow your computer to interface with the dongle and update its clock.  Here are a couple of options that I’ve tested. The first one is free and it is called BktTimeSync (https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html).  

Since there are a lot of ads on the download page, here is the direct download link – (https://www.maniaradio.it/OldVersion/elenco.php?nomefile=BktTimeSync%2FBktTimeSync_1.20.6.exe).



After downloading you’ll need to find the COM port of your GPS dongle. In your Windows search box (bottom left of your screen), type “Device Manager” and press “Enter”.


Now click on the “>” next to Ports (COM & LPT)


Look for something like USB Serial Device and note the COM number (in this case 9).


If you have a lot of devices and are not sure which one it might be, you can unplug the GPS dongle and see what disappears to find the COM port number for it.

Now go into BktTimeSync and adjust the COM port to the correct number and set the speed to 9600 baud.


You should then see your GPS coordinates show up if you have the right COM port.

Next, make sure you click GPS enable and turn off NTP. 


Now click “Sync Now”.


and you should see a successful GPS sync notification.


Next, you’ll want to set your syncing options moving forward if they are different than the default.



For software option 2, I really like NMEATime2 since it is much simpler to use and has some cool data screens - https://www.visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content. It is about $21 (and free for the first 30 days to try) .



To get set up with it, you’ll need to set the COM port of your dongle.



What is nice here is you do not need to use the Device Manager since the program shows you the descriptions of each COM port in setup dialog box.


Pick the correct port and set it to 9600 baud.



You should see a “Locked” indication and the program will now automatically sync and update your computer’s clock for you on an ongoing basis.


You can now click the “GPS Status” tab to see what satellites it is using.



As well as see some info on the accuracy of your computer’s clock on the “Loop Status” tab.




That’s all there is to it for you to have accurate time out in the field. Have fun at your next POTA knowing that your time is exact!


Product links:
 https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Antenna-Gmouse-Laptop-Navigation/dp/B073P3Y48Q
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-G-Mouse-GLONASS-Receiver-Windows/dp/B01MTU9KTF

Comments

  1. oregonscientificstore.com/c-2-atomic-clocks.aspx?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Put Your AllStar Node on 44Net Connect

Why You Might Want To Set Up Your Raspberry Pi Internet Web Server on 44Net

Build a Central N3FJP Field Day Log Server With Local DHCP and GPS Time

Building a Secure Web Portal on 44Net Without VPN Headaches

ShackClock 1.0 An All-in-One Ham Radio Shack Dashboard

How To Set Up Your Own Remote Station

Getting WaveNode Power Meter Data Into Node-RED

Turning Your Starlink Mini into a Real Telemetry Device - How to bridge Starlink Mini into MQTT and Node-RED for real-time monitoring and automation

Why You Should Use SSH Keys Instead of Passwords on Your Raspberry Pi

Ham RSS News Feeds

Amateur Radio Daily

ARRL News

Zero Retries